Acheson House, owned by Edinburgh City Council, is a category A listed 17tth Century building situated on the historic Canongate. The building was begun in 1633 by the then Secretary of State, Sir Archibald Acheson. It has had a varied history including a major restoration in 1936 for the Marquess of Bute. After a period as the Scottish Craft Centre the building lay empty for some years. It is now occupied by the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust.
Simpson and Brown were originally engaged by the City of Edinburgh Council to co-ordinate roof repairs and examine the feasibility of a temporary roof. When technical problems relating to wind uplift were identified the scope of the project changed to that of a re-roofing contract.
Upon close inspection the Carmyllie stone roof covering in place at Acheson House was seen to have deteriorated to such an extent that the level of re-use possible was quite minimal. In order to resolve the shortfall a potential source of new Carmyllie stone, the Denfind Quarry in Angus, was identified by Simpson & Brown with help from the Scottish Stone Liaison Group. Simpson & Brown negotiated a grant from the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust to fund the supply of Carmyllie for the project thereby ensuring the expansion of the quarry and encouraging more use of Scottish stone and traditional building methods.
The re-roofing of the full extent of Acheson House with Carmyllie stone tiles represents a considerable enhancement of the fabric of the building. The client has benefitted from the extra value brought to the project by Simpson & Brown in that a full conservation specification has been achieved within the original tight budget.
|Project name:||Acheson House|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|