This remarkable building may be the best preserved 16th century house in any Scottish burgh. Its facade fronts the harbour and its burgage plot is complete from the north side of the High Street to the 'back dyke'. It incorporates medieval work, which predates the building of a new frontage some two metres forward of its predecessor in about 1590. Painted ceilings of this date cover the hall and two first floor chambers. The hall on the second floor shows a wallpainting of a ship which could be a picture of the vessel in which Anne of Denmark was brought to Scotland in 1589. Documents reveal that at this time the property belonged to a ship-owning family called Law.
The Law's Close building was acquired by the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust in 1986. A first phase of work to ensure that the building is structurally and externally sound was completed in 1992-4. The second phase, completed in Spring 2005, has created two shops with office accommodation on the first and second floors. As part of this work, the 16th century paintings have been conserved and the 17th century panelling restored. Further remarkable decoration, with graining, marbling and simulated marquetry has emerged, comparable with contemporary work at Mylne's Court in Edinburgh.
|Project name:||Law's Close|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|