A scheme of fabric repairs and internal alterations to Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s Queen’s Cross Church in Glasgow was completed in December 2006 for the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society.
Following the stone repairs carried out in 1986 by Keppie Henderson, the aim was to conserve the stone wherever possible by carrying out selective repairs. Where the original carved stone detail was found to be delaminating, it was restored in-situ by specialist stone conservators.
The conservation of the leaded glass and the upgrading of the window protection is the greatest single improvement to the fabric. The result is a much brighter church interior and the visitor is able once more to appreciate the design of the windows and the space as Mackintosh intended.
In the east gallery a demountable screen, designed by Howarth and erected in 1944, was moved from its original location in front of the columns supporting the gallery to a new position behind them, restoring the visual connection between the columns and the gallery above.
The heating system was improved and additional insulation inserted. Since the hall is an important Mackintosh interior, the roof was stripped and insulation was laid in the plane of the pitch before the roof was rebuilt on top. Roof ventilators were reinstated, following the design of those of the Glasgow School of Art, none of the church’s original roof vents having survived. The rooflight was fitted with motorised blinds to control light for talks and lectures. The interior of the hall is largely unchanged but is in good order, more comfortable and fit for purpose.
|Project name:||Queen's Cross Church|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|