The category A-listed Auchinleck House was built between 1755 and 1762 by Alexander Boswell, Lord Auchinleck, the father of James Boswell. The pavilions are later additions (1773 - 1774), built in a different stone, and although very small they contribute immensely to the composition as a whole. James Boswell inherited Auchinleck House in 1782 and it continued to be occupied by branches of the Boswell family until about 1970. By 1985, however, the lead had been stripped from the roof, all the windows had been smashed and dry rot was rampant throughout the structure. In 1986 the house was sold to the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust.
Simpson & Brown carried out an initial phase of work at Auchinleck in the late 1980s, primarily addressing the dry rot and other emergency works including roof repairs and structural work. After sitting vacant for over a decade, Auchinleck was sold to The Landmark Trust who, with grant aid and private donations, were able to fund a full restoration. The house is now leased by the Trust as a holiday let.
The majority of the most recent phase of work concentrated on reinstating interior finishes. Restoration included large areas of new lime plasterwork, cornicing and plaster enrichments, and the painstaking repair and refitting of existing joinery and fireplaces.
|Client name:||The Landmark Trust|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|