We were commissioned to undertake an archaeological desk-based assessment of the site proposed for the development of the new Newcastle Area Command Headquarters for Northumbria Police at Forth Banks in Newcastle upon Tyne.
During research a number of resources were consulted in order to assess the historical development of the site. Remote research and archive visits revealed a number of important sources, including historic images, cartographic and documentary sources and building control plans. This research showed no direct evidence of human presence prior to the industrial period when the area around the site became the focus of the city's industrial activity. In the nineteenth century the area became associated with the growing railway industry and a succession of well documented railway structures and ancillary buildings developed on the site. Of particular note is the 1866 Good Station and undercroft, which although demolished in 1972, is survived by the vaulted undercroft in the east corner of the site.
The results of the desk-based assessment were used to inform future archaeological involvement in the site.